8 Memorial Day Parades This WeekendMay 22nd, 2012 at 5:32 pm by Erica Grow under Community
It’s one of the most important parades of the year! Not because it’s the biggest parade, or the longest one, or even the loudest. This weekend’s lineup of parades is important because it’s the time we set aside to honor our soldiers, veterans, and families of the fallen. Here’s a list of Memorial Day parades happening throughout Connecticut this weekend; you’ll find a link to the map of each parade route, too!
1. The town of Orange will hold its Memorial Day parade on Sunday, May 27th starting at 10:30am. Retired Lieutenant Colonel James White, who served in the Korean War, will be the Grand Marshal
for the ceremonies and parade this year. Veterans of World War II are being honored at the parade, and at a special luncheon later that day. map
2. West Haven’s Memorial Day parade is on Memorial Day itself, Monday May 28th, at 10:30. Korean War veteran Dan Lockery will serve as the parade’s Grand Marshal. Lockery is the Commander of the local American Veterans post in West Haven at the Polish American Club. map
3. The Memorial Day Parade in Bethany kicks off at 10:ooam on Monday, May 28th. The parade is sponsored by the Bethany Lions Club, and will once again feature antique vehicles, equestrians, and school bands. map
4. The City of Milford’s big Memorial Day Parade is on Sunday, May 27th at 2:00pm. The parade will be made extra-special by keynote speaker Dr. Linda Schwartz, who will speak at a brief ceremony following the parade on the Town Green. Dr. Schwartz is a former Air Force RN and a veteran of the Vietnam War. Now, she is the Commissioner of the State’s Department of Veteran’s Affairs. The parade route goes through Downtown Milford. map
5. In Lebanon, the parade will begin on Saturday, May 26th at 10:00am. This parade always includes some pretty cool floats, along with the traditional marching bands and uniformed officers. The Lebanon Citizen of the Year will also be honored in this quaint, charming small-town parade. map
6. Cheshire’s Memorial Day Parade will be on Sunday, May 27th starting at 1:30pm. You’ll hear the Yalesville Drum & Fife Corps and see organizations like Relay for Life taking part in this hometown parade along Route 10 through the center of town. map
7. The Memorial Day Parade in Bozrah is this Saturday, May 26th at 1:30pm. Fire trucks, marching bands, and plenty of Americana will be a part of this parade. map
8. In East Haven, the festivities will be a bit more subdued, as the parade will be replaced with a procession and remembrance ceremony on the Town Green at 11:30am on Memorial Day. Local war heroes will ride to the Green in beautiful Chevys, through the “Vets in Vettes” program, courtesy of the Corvette Club of Connecticut. Mayor Joe Maturo will speak on the Green, and the East Haven High School Symphonic Band will play patriotic music. map
I hope you get a chance to take a moment this weekend to remember our fallen soldiers and honor their sacrifices!