Marine Corps Birthday-I’m Proud

November 10th, 2011 at 10:02 am by under News, Weather, WTNH Blogs

November 10th has a special meaning to the few, the proud….the Marines. It is the birthday of the US Marine Corps founded back on November 10th 1775. This year marks the 236th Birthday. I am proud to be a part of this honorable group of men and women.

I signed up during my senior year of high school when I was 17 years old. I left for boot camp on October 29th, 1990 and arrived at Parris Island, SC. for a very tough 13 weeks of training! My platoon number was 2010 and I will never forget that number.

Private Simmons 1991

PVT Simmons USMC Graduation 1991 Parris Island, SC.

I became a Meteorologist/Oceanographer during my six years on active duty. I attended multiple schools all over the country to learn how weather impacts aviation, weapon systems, infantry and amphibious landings. It is much more extensive than saying “Partly cloudy with a chance of showers” hahahaha! Much more precision is involved with military operations.

I worked as a Marine Meteorologist/Oceanographer all over the world. One of my favorite deployments took me across the North Atlantic on the USS Nassau LHA4 where we hit 40′ waves and ended up in the Mountains of Northern Norway. I deployed to Panama, The Caribbean, England and the Eastern Pacific during my six years of service. I was stationed at Camp Lejeune NC., MCAS Cherry Point NC, Chanute Air Force Base, Il., and MCAS Yuma, AZ.

So, with that…Happy Birthday and Semper Fi to all Marines out there…..NEVER forget those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

-Gil

My twitter

My facebook

15 Responses to “Marine Corps Birthday-I’m Proud”

1. jodie m. says:

just wanted to leave a note saying thank you and to let you know that my daughter’s entire 5th grade class at pond hill school in wallingford ct collected 4500 bars of candy to send overseas to the troops!

2. Dana says:

Proud of you and all the Marines Gil!

3. jeff clark says:

you had a busy six years there… rock on, and happy birthday… (surfs up)

4. Debi Hirth says:

Gil:
    Thank you so much for your service. Happy Birthday USMC!! The Marines are a great group of people, but so are all of our men and women in uniform.
    Makes me so very proud to be an American!!

5. Diana Lasch says:

Gil,

Thank you so much for sharing your story! It is very important to remember, and teach the younger generations of the sacrifices made yesterday, today and tommorrow…………

6. Ann Armas says:

Hi Gil, first I would like to thank all the sevice men and women in every branch of the sevice especially the Maines on their Birthday. They have all given the ultimate sacrifice to defend our country. My Nephew and now is son is a Marine. I think the word “THANK YOU” is not a good enough word to use. “GOD BLESS YOU ALL” is much more appropriate.

7. scott says:

Happy Birthday to the Marines!!! well done Gil!! Thank you for your service, and your fine job at channel 8!!! I’ll keep an eye out for you on the trails in Vermont!!!!

8. Gil says:

Thank you all so much!!!

9. Paul E says:

Hi Gil,

Without the tireless efforts of our men and women in the armed forces, there would not be a United States of America today! Best wishes to you and the United States Marine Corps!!!!

10. Marie says:

Gil, you looked so young and handsome and you are more handsome now. You are a proud veteran of the Marines. I have known a few of those good men. I knew a recruiter who had served 20 years. Semper Fi, my friend.

11. Marie S. says:

Thank you for serving our country so proudly, Gil.

12. Jane says:

Thank you for your dedication to our country (and the Great State of CT via your amazing forecasts). Semper Fi and Happy Birthday, Marine Corps!

13. Bob A. says:

We had some fun too!

14. glen krizan says:

i don’t know what the sudden hubbub about the occupiers flying the flag upsidedown, fire trucks all over the state disrespect the flag every day by draping it or hanging it off the truck.

15. TIMOTHY L MALONE says:

gil i was the guide in platoon 2009, staff seargant muranka, we won final drill , im trying to find pics of our platoon or any news clippings, i was stationed at camp leleune, as a forward observer for 81mm mortar plt , 3rd btln 6th marines…hope all is well…facebook /timothy lamar malone